What You Need to Know About Dairy Products on a Ketogenic Diet
When you cut back on carbohydrates, your body produces ketones. Your body uses these as a backup source of energy. Because cheese is made from milk, many people wonder if it is safe to eat on a ketogenic diet.
The answer is yes, but with some limitations. Ketogenic diets put your body into a state of ketosis where your body burns fat instead of carbohydrates for fuel. Dairy products are mostly carbohydrates with small amounts of protein and fat, which makes them an unfavorable food choice while on a ketogenic diet.
However, they do have their benefits when it comes to maintaining this type of diet. Reducing the number of carbs that you eat can be challenging because hidden sources like sugars in sauces or complex proteins like gluten in flour can be hard to identify and avoid at first. Even something as simple as drinking soda has a significant impact on blood sugar levels and should be consumed sparingly if you’re trying to lower your carb intake or follow a ketogenic diet.
What Are the Best Dairy Options on a Ketogenic Diet?
There are so many dairy products that can be enjoyed on a ketogenic diet. Here is a list of some of the most popular dairy products that you can enjoy while you are on a ketogenic diet.
- Butter – Butter is a delicious way to add flavor to almost any meal. It also contains healthy fats that help stabilize blood sugar levels and keep you feeling full longer.
- Cheese – There are many types of cheese that are suitable for ketogenic diets. The best types of cheese to eat on a ketogenic diet include cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, and parmesan.
- Greek Yogurt – Greek yogurt is a great way to get some protein and calcium into your meals. It can also be used as a substitute for sour cream or crème fraîche.
- Heavy Cream – Heavy cream is an excellent source of fat and makes a great topping for your coffee, tea, or in a dessert.
- Whole Milk – Whole milk contains plenty of fat and protein, but very little carbohydrate compared with other types of milk.
- Coconut Milk – Coconut milk is a great substitute for other types of milk. It’s a good source of fiber and protein but has a lower amount of fat than regular milk.
Why Eat Dairy on a Ketogenic Diet?
Dairy products contain high amounts of calcium, making them a good choice for those who do not consume a lot of calcium-rich foods. Low calcium intake can lead to weak bones and increase risk of osteoporosis.
Calcium helps the body create more hormones and promotes blood flow, which helps our muscles stay healthy. Dairy products are also a great source of protein, which is necessary to build and repair your muscles.
Eating dairy while on a ketogenic diet can also promote weight loss. Dairy products are generally high in fat and protein, which makes them very satiating. When your body is in a state of ketosis, it increases fat burning and decreases carb intake. This process can lead to weight loss.
Which Dairy Products Can You Eat?
You can eat all the dairy products listed above, but you should avoid products that contain a high amount of added sugar. Some examples of these types of products are chocolate milk, cream soda, and energy drinks.
If you are trying to lose weight, you should also moderate the amount of cheese that you consume. Although cheese is a good source of fat, it also contains a significant amount of protein. Too much protein is not a good thing for those trying to lose weight.
A good rule of thumb is to consume about one serving of dairy per day. One serving is equivalent to one glass of milk, a cup of yogurt, or a small block of cheese. Two servings of dairy is equivalent to a large glass of milk, two cups of yogurt, or two small blocks of cheese.
Which Dairy Products Should You Avoid?
There are a few dairy products that you should avoid while on a ketogenic diet. The following dairy products are high in sugar, which makes them a bad choice while on a ketogenic diet.
- Sweetened Yogurt – Yogurt is a great way to get probiotics in your diet and make sure that your gut is healthy. Unfortunately, many yogurts contain added sugar, which makes them unsuitable for a ketogenic diet.
- Sweetened Cream – Cream is a versatile product that can be used in many different recipes. Unfortunately, most creams contain large amounts of added sugar, making them an unsuitable dairy product for a ketogenic diet.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – Sweetened condensed milk is a syrup that is often used in deserts. It’s best to avoid this product because it can contain more than 50 g of sugar per serving.
Dairy products are a great source of many nutrients, including protein, calcium, and fat. These nutrients are necessary to maintain a healthy body and promote good health. There are many types of dairy products that you can enjoy while on a ketogenic diet. You just need to make sure that you choose the ones that are low in sugar. Eating the right types of dairy products can help you reach your health goals.